Death penalty is too costly encouraging players to leave to avoid it

Problem you’re trying to solve
Death penalty is too costly encouraging players to leave dungeon to avoid it.

How you currently feel about this in-game and how you think you should feel
Gold penalty needs to be reduced, especially for lower-level players. Players port out or bail on the group when the going gets rough to avoid this penalty as it is set too high.

Any ideas you have on how things could be improved, fixed, or add more fun to the experience
Could make this more fun and sting less by adding an incentive after death – Give a percentage of that penalty gold back if the player is able to go on and complete the dungeon. This would encourage players to stay in the group rather than just bail and port out when the going get rough or after a near-wipe in a dungeon run.

5 Likes

Gold penalty should not apply until you are level 20 or higher. No reason to take gold from noobies.

Same goes for item level requirements, no need for them in the early levels. That should be for the end game items, T4 or T5 and above.

Angry Enemies for example was meant to stop groups from speed running. But it ended up causing an issue for all groups, even if they move together and kill mobs as intended. Simple fix is only give angry enemies mission if more than 20 mobs were aggroed.

2 Likes

The amount of gold to lose could also be calculated (and rounded up).

For example, if the game takes away 10% of your total gold if you die, it would be logical and acceptable. It can’t be that if you have 15k gold, they take 5k from you (when in the vendor any decent item costs 15k or more).
Of course the limit of 5,000 gold per death would be maintained.

Another option is the one that Blazo comments, eliminating the penalty up to level 20.

2 Likes

I think the combination of the two makes sense. 10% up to max $5,000 and no gold death penalty under level 20. Great work Strepi, thank you for your feedback and insight on my threads, greatly appreciated.

2 Likes

I don’t know the function for calculating gold penalty but it should be based off character level not dungeon level. And if you think gold value is too much at low levels it’s a scale curve issue; should not be resolved by no penalty for low-level bs.

I personally don’t think gold is enough of a penalty as people would most likely burn there gold before taking on hard monsters.

I would like to see an actual “Penalty” here’s and example from guild wars 1.

Death Penalty (DP) is an effect that decreases a character’s maximum health and energy by 1-60%. It is acquired by dying and can be reduced by gaining experience in PvE and killing enemies in PvP, countered by Morale Boosts, or removed by consumables.

In Hard mode, Resurrection Shrines will not work if every party member has 60% Death Penalty; a wipe will return your team to the last town or outpost.

Acquisition
Each time a character dies they suffer a 15% DP in post-Searing PvE and many PvP areas. Consecutive deaths stack, up to a maximum of 60%. Pets in PvP suffer DP, but not those in PvE.
The monster skill Touch of Dhuum inflicts 15% Death Penalty.

In Hard mode, Resurrection Shrines will not work if every party member has 60% Death Penalty; a wipe will return your team to the last town or outpost.

Acquisition[edit]

• Each time a character dies they suffer a 15% DP in post-Searing PvE and many PvP areas. Consecutive deaths stack, up to a maximum of 60%. Pets in PvP suffer DP, but not those in PvE.
  • The monster skill Touch of Dhuum inflicts 15% Death Penalty.