Encrypted Items: Was there a better solution?

I agree the Encrypted Items was not a “fun” update but I think I have a few ideas that could help settle the issue with them. Add a system that knowns what the player has equipped so the (Tier) and (level) and anything that is below those items in (tier)/(level) will not be Encrypted but anything that is higher (Tier)/(level) is Encrypted just more expensive relative to the level of the item so that it is exciting to receive a Encrypted item but at the same time it works as a gold sink for the game because you have the chance of that item not having the right stats that you want but it costs a lot to decrypt it. I am sure they will sort out any issues the community might have I am excited to see what they have in store!!! -Sneaky

3 Likes

One reason encrypted items may have been added, that I missed at first glance, is to make finding and upgrading your items harder. I had always thought that it was too easy to simply go to the vendroids and buy awesome items for gold. I upgraded 95% of my gear from Vendroids before encrypted items. That made getting items in dungeons not as fun because I already had great stuff and rarely found an upgrade from killing mobs.

I still think the solutions in this post solve everything. Making encrypted items only be for items with top 30% rolls (or something like that), which makes encrypted items more rare and fun to collect or buy from vendroids.

Everything in this thread is still valid, I just wanted to point that out. Really hoping we can hear from the Big Time team on this soon. I think it’s pretty critical to address this one.

-Blazo

5 Likes

Good point I had not thought about this either I too noticed armor upgrades in icy all the time through gold and silver on the vendor bots from other people selling there stuff and that problem would only get worse the more players in the game. Counter solution maybe instead of having the same inventory that all players sell to when it comes to the vendors they reset every (set duration) to prevent armor stacking up. I agree with @Blazo saying

Both could work or both together. Lots of good feedback and progressive conversation in this thread keep it up everyone.
-Sneaky

3 Likes

I just submitted a post related to encrypted feature, linking it here so people can relate all my findings around this feature in one place.

2 Likes

Why reducing gold earning?

We don’t know exactly why the devs added Encrypted Items. Most people assumes it was to suck gold out of the economy. We are waiting to possibly hear some feedback from this from them as to what the intention was. If the only intention was to reduce gold, that could have been achieved by lowering the amount we get from selling items to vendroids.

I have concluded however, that this was not the only intention, and it also serves a duel purpose of making items harder to get. If this is the intention, it sure worked, although it may be overkill a bit and needs a small adjustment to make encrypted items more rare so they are exciting to find and not annoying. This would be a happy medium for everyone.

If the encrypted items were more rare and they were good items, we would be happy to collect them and pay a higher price to decrypt them to see what we got! Win win for everyone.

-Blazo

2 Likes

One other issue with Encrypted Items and the new red X that goes through items you can not wear… It makes seeing what the heck the items are VERY difficult. I find myself squinting constantly to see what’s behind the encrypted items and the red X’s.

I think an encrypted icon or a red X in the bottom right corner like it was before was much better as it does not prevent us from seeing what the item is or distort the colors which are important to see.

Looting items is a nightmare and not even close to fun in my opinion with all this combined.

-Blazo

1 Like

I agree, picking up encrypted items that are difficult to see in the inventory is the most irritating thing in the game currently, and is in need of correction. I would really like to know why they did this and whether it was intended to be a long-term thing, or just a temporary fix to some perceived problem.

1 Like

The big issue with these items is that they have looked at the economy ingame, said “we have too much gold, how can players spend it”, and not really looked into it any more than that.

Personally I think the excess of gold boils down to 2 things. The first is the excess of drops. I can literally fill an endgame inventory with decently valued loot every time I complete a 7 minute dungeon if I wanted to. Do we really need to receive so much loot ingame that our screen looks a glowing laser tag arena at the end of every boss encounter? Personally would think they would be much better off reworking the loot system. I would love to see something like a chest at the end of each dungeon, 3-4 pieces of loot inside related to the highest tier monster in the dungeon, and maybe some coins and supplies as well. Then throughout the dungeon additional drops on the ground could be quite rare, things like the epics/uniques that we see every now and then. If we did this then straight away we can limit the gold supply to whatever is fair.

The second part is that there is very little to spend it on, and what it can be spent on is difficult to use. Things like speed potions, summon party pots, health pots, and now the new ones as well are all very useful potions, but we are limited to having one action bar. I would recommend we add a second action bar that could just have potions on it, as especially as the game expands and grows we are going to have a lot more of these sorts of combat supplies we will want to bring into our encounters with us. And the moment we have an easy way to access potions throughout fights we have something to spend gold on. I know that personally since I started speed potting everywhere after I freed up an action bar space I have to loot a bit every dung to make up for it, haven’t gone above 100k cash in a long time.

Just my 2 cents.

4 Likes

Awesome ideas Matty, hopefully they are indeed reading the forums and taking this valuable feedback into consideration, it’s almost unbearable in current form. We will know soon enough!

-Blazo

1 Like

Hard agree!

The game needs gold sinks and slowing progression is fine. Encrypted items accomplish this.
However, encrypted items should be exciting and rewarding. It should not feel ANNOYING.

Many of the suggestions here would accomplish this without ruining the goals of the change.

1 Like

To confirm my fear that Encrypted items are confusing for new players, I searched the Big Time Discord and there were 70 questions about them. Most people saying they are new and asking how to decrypt items. This system is not intuitive and will cause onboarding issues with new players, people who paid for a pass will take the time to go to Discord and ask about them, but free players with nothing invested will just be confused and give up. My current thoughts on the right fix are:

-Only encrypt items over level 20 (prevents any chance new players can be confused, also no need to suck gold from low level players who need it)
-Only encrypt items with good rolls (makes people excited to see an encrypted item, also people will want to buy encrypted items from vendroids)
-Don’t encrypt common items (no need for this)
-Add decrypt scrolls with description of how to use them (they can be expensive)
-Add decryptor vendroids to the start of every dungeon. Can increase price of decrypting if they are only the good items.
-Give instructions on how to decrypt items when someone hovers over them.

3 Likes

Please remove this post and see above.

-Blazo

Please remove this post and see above.

-Blazo

This is the first major test for the development team to see how they will handle negative changes and if they can take accept overwhelming player feedback and correct course. Good luck Big Time, we love you, and we believe in you!

-Blazo

I absolutely hate encrypted items.
New features should make the game more fun, not the oposite

1 Like

You aren’t alone. I finally found ONE person who said they like Encrypted Items because it adds a level of “grind” to the game. General rule of thumb in game design though is don’t add anything that appeases the few and upsets the many. Literally 99% of players hate encrypted items, and I think it’s been a big reason activity has gone down because looting items is no longer fun. Pretty important part of the game to be fun! Honestly this would fix encrypted items and still achieve the goals of the update:

-Don’t encrypt items under level 20
-Don’t encrypt common items
-Only encrypt items with top stat rolls
-Charge much more to decrypt items (because we know the item is good we will pay more for it) and have it be based on the level of the item
-Add a decrypt scroll so we can decrypt from inventory

Point is, we should be excited to see an encrypted item drop, not annoyed =)

-Blazo

4 Likes

Agree,this update is vey very unscientific

Well said Blazo, am agreed.